Re: 1. MP3 or AAC mixing in compressed/coded domain (2)

Am 02. Mär. 2009 um 10:46 Uhr schrieb Lorenzo Picinali:

> It is plenty of audio editing and mixing software that can open MP3 or
> AAC (AC3) files, but what they do is they all convert the compressed
> files in an uncompressed PCM format, and then perform all the mixing and
> editing operation, and convert them back to the compressed format after
> the processing. This is fore sure a good method with short files, but
> having for example a ten ours MP3 stereo recording, on a normal PCM
> format would be nearly 10 Gb of data, therefore for mixing and editing
> directly in MP3, in this case, could be a very good idea.

The memory is not a constraint. Just use a stream-based audio processing
software like sox which decodes only as much as needed for encoding.
Here's a small example - the first two commands create differently
encoded audio files of 4GB compressed PCM data, the third command
generates a mixture without blowing up your memory:

chris@rondra:/data$ dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=4096 | sox -t raw -c 2 -r 44100 -s -2 - foo.mp3
4096+0 records in
4096+0 records out
4294967296 bytes (4.3 GB) copied, 512.311 s, 8.4 MB/s
chris@rondra:/data$ dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=4096 | sox -t raw -c 2 -r 44100 -s -2 - bar.ogg
4096+0 records in
4096+0 records out
4294967296 bytes (4.3 GB) copied, 1057.75 s, 4.1 MB/s
chris@rondra:/data$ sox -m foo.mp3 bar.ogg foobar.mp3
chris@rondra:/data$ sox --version
sox: SoX v14.2.0

> I'm not aware of any available software that directly mixes compressed
> files, but for the editing you could use http://mpesch3.de1.cc/ , which
> allows you to cut MP3 files and change the volume...

Cutting MP3 files by leaving out / inserting whole MP3 frames is a
trivial problem. One of the reasons why we use MP3 for the real-time
audio streaming in our Internet-based interactive auditory virtual
environment [1] is that the transmitted audio frames are self-contained.
So, if single frames are lost, you can continue decoding the stream with
the next received audio frame. The same principle can be used for
cutting MP3 frames.
Also changing the volume can easily be done by scaling the quantized
frequency bins in the compressed domain.
Mixing MP3 and AAC in the encoded domain is anything but trivial. MP3
and AAC use different transformations and different transformation
lengths. That means you have different representations of differently
overlapping time segments. How do you want to mix that?!? If you want to
mess around with these problems, you have to have good reasons for doing
so. In addition, the reencoding step which is commonly used in audio
editing software ensures that the masking effect is properly taken into
account for the mixture.

Ciao,
Christian

[1]  C. Borß, A. Silzle, and R. Martin. Internet-Based Interactive
     Auditory Virtual Environment Generators. In 14th Int. Conf.
     on Auditory Display, Paris, France, Jun. 2008.
--
Christian Borß, Dipl.-Ing.          ||   Institut für Kommunikationsakustik
http://www.ika.ruhr-uni-bochum.de   ||   Ruhr-Universität Bochum