Re: harmonic extraction

(Jim Bashford is having problems getting the listserv to accept his
messages, so I'm forwarding this on his behalf -- DAn.)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Bashford
Date: Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Dear Al,

I’ve listened to a number of conditions, including the odd-through-all
harmonic alternation you mentioned (with 0.5 sec half-cycle and no
silence between the alternating tones).  Most of my observations have
used a 6-component “all-harmonic” base stimulus, because I have
determined that, for me at least, the capture of individual harmonics
from a complex tone (alternating with a lone sinusoid) does not
readily occur for the seventh and higher harmonics.  For the
six-harmonic stimulus conditions, the even-through-all and the
odd-through-all stimuli behave as I reported earlier: I hear an
intermittent complex tone that matches the pitch and timbre of the
all-harmonic stimulus presented alone, and I hear a continuous complex
tone having the pitch and timbre of the three-component stimulus
(comprised of either even or odd harmonics).  These observations were
made for stimuli having fundamental frequencies of 100 Hz and also 300
Hz.  So it appears that duplexity prevails when all harmonics are
resolved by the auditory system.

 I also listened to the original stimulus condition employing the
first 10 harmonics and did hear the effect you anticipated when the
fundamental frequency was 100 Hz.  Along with the continuous
odd-harmonic signal having a pitch of 100 Hz, I do hear an
intermittent 200 Hz having a rich timbre (one has to be careful with
these judgments since it is easy to spontaneously hear out the “pure”
sounding second harmonic).  Your prediction did not hold when the
fundamental frequency was at 300 Hz.  At that frequency, the percept
of the intermittent all-harmonic stimulus retains the pitch and timbre
heard when the stimulus is presented alone.
Best,
Jim