Speech reception in noise

Dear Enrique,

One way to address your question is to look at the slope of the function that relates SNR to intelligibility, i.e. the psychometric function (PMf). This was done in the following papers:

Smoorenburg, G.F. (1992) Speech reception in quiet and in noisy conditions by individuals with noise-induced hearing loss in relation to their tone audiogram. J Acoust Soc Am 91, 421-37.
found no relation between PMf slope and amount of hearing loss.
Turner, C.W. and Brus, S.L. (2001) Providing low- and mid-frequency speech information to listeners with sensorineural hearing loss. J Acoust Soc Am 109, 2999-3006.
expresses intelligibility in articulation indices and finds hearing impaired show more benefit of additional speech information, i.e. show steeper slopes.
Wagener, K.C. and Brand, T. (2005) Sentence intelligibility in noise for listeners with normal hearing and hearing impairment: influence of measurement procedure and masking parameters. Int J Audiol 44, 144-56.
finds that slopes are slightly smaller for HI.

HTH instead of confuses,

Yours,

-Gaston.

> Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:12:39 +0200
> From: "Lopez-Poveda, Enrique A." <ealopezpoveda@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Speech reception in noise
>
> Dear all,
>
> Everybody knows that speech perception in noisy=20
> backgrounds is poorer for listeners with cochlear=20
> hearing loss than for normal-hearing listeneres.=20
> But is there any evidence that the rate of=20
> decrease of performance with decreasing=20
> speech-to-noise ratio is greatest for="">> hearing-impaired than for normal-hearing=20
> listeners? I would appreciate any reference to relevant studies.
>
> - Enrique A. Lopez-Poveda
>
> Enrique A. Lopez-Poveda, Ph.D.
> Instituto de Neurociencias de Castilla y Le=F3n, Universidad de Salamanca
> C/ Pintor Fernando Gallego 1, 37007 Salamanca, Spain.
> Phone: (+34) 923 294 500 ext. 1957. Fax: (+34) 923 294 750
> E-mail: ealopezpoveda@xxxxxxxx http://web.usal.es/~ealopezpoveda/=20

Surfing the web just got more rewarding. Download the New Internet Explorer 8