Re: Core readings in auditory perception

One problem is that there is no modern book on auditory perception that is not heavily biased towards the work of the author(s) and coauthors.  I was obliged to use B.C.J. Moore's book when I was a teaching assistant and found it far too selective for my taste. There seems little choice but to use individual papers. In my field, loudness and detection of stimulus intensity change, the influential but not necessarily good papers would include (but hardly be limited to) the following:

Durlach, N.L. and Braida, L.D. (1969) J Acoust Soc Am 46, 372-383.
McGill, W.J. and Goldberg, J.P. (1968) Percept Psychophys 4, 105-109.
Levitt, H. (1971) J Acoust Soc Am 49, 467-477.
Carlyon, R.P. and Moore, B.C.J. (1984) J Acoust Soc Am 76, 1369-1376.
Florentine, M. and Buus, S. (1981) J Acoust Soc Am 70, 1646-1654.
Garner, W. (1947) J Acoust Soc Am 19, 808-815.

Green, D.M. (1960). J Acoust Soc Am 32, 121-131.

Stevens, S.S. (1956) Am J Psych 69, 1-25.

All of these papers are fairly narrow in scope, and their authors stood on the shoulders of the earlier

contributors like Munson, V. Bekesy, Lane, Greenwood, Zwislocki, etc.  - Lance Nizami