Re: speech onset and offset

Dear Tianshu:

This will depend on precisely what you mean: do you mean the onset and
offset time as measured exactly at the speaker's mouth (or in an anechoic
chamber), or the onset  and offset time  as measured in a realistic room
some distance from the speaker? For the former, I don't know the answer
(but suspect both are similar: a voiced sound cut of by closing the lips
will stop pretty quickly). For the room, the onset comes from the direct
path (since this is generally speaking, the shortest path), so that the
actual onset time is unaffected by the echoes in the room (actually, it
will continue to strengthen afterwards, as the energy from the echoes
arrives at the microphone), but the offset time will be strongly affected
by the reverberation: It will be much longer.

--Leslie Smith

--
Prof Leslie Smith
Head, Department of Computing Science and Mathematics

--
Academic Excellence at the Heart of Scotland.
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland,