Re: Usual settings for the transformed up-down procedure

An additional issue concerns the experience of the participants.
Concentration/attention and adaptation/learning can both affect
threshold estimates very severely when participants are not both
trained and motivated to perform the task. This is something that I
have not seen discussed in the literature, which typically compares
the efficiency of different adaptive procedures assuming almost
perfect participants. Our experience with maximum-likelihood-type
procedures was that they can be utterly useless with naive
participants, because a single inattentive response early on throws
off the entire procedure completely. Constant-stimuli (fixed-level)
methods were a waste of time, both in requiring many repetitions and
also in preventing the participants from learning and concentrating on
the fine discriminations, resulting in much higher and less reliable
threshold estimates. Adaptive staircases seem best to "train"
participants to listen to whatever it is you want listened to.  After
trying out several different approaches, we ended up using a
modification of the "accelerated stochastic approximation" (see
Treutwein, B., Adaptive psychophysical procedures, Vision Research,
35, 2503-2522, 2008), which is similar in conception to the 3-up
1-down except that the up step is smaller, thus making convergence
smoother and easier for the participant. The step becomes arbitrarily
small and the procedure can be terminated after a set number of
reversals or when the step becomes smaller than the anticipated
variance. Our modification was to allow the step-size parameter to
fall back to a larger value (by removing one reversal) when there were
too many responses of the same kind ("same kind" being as either all
correct or all incorrect; "too many" means twice as many as expected
by the procedure parameters, ie, for a 3:1 up/down step ratio, 6 up or
2 down steps are "too many"). This allows the procedure to recover
quickly from lucky streaks or inattentive responses that might throw
off tracking of the threshold and delay convergence.  Taking into
account our special population (including children and adults with no
relevant experience, poor auditory skills and poor concentration),
this modification served remarkably well. I'd say, if you throw out a
quick first run (serving to familiarize the participant with the
sounds and task) and then take three threshold runs with this
procedure, you should be able to get stable and reliable estimates. On
the other hand, if your participants are of the standard type seen in
psychophysical experiments, well-trained and fully focused, then more
efficient methods may work for you.