Re: 60 Hz hum causing problems with speech recognition

On your linux problem, I recommend taking care in setting it up
properly.
It sounds like you are experiencing drop outs.
You can achieve hyper low latency using linux ... less latency then
Windows can achieve when the CPU is heavily loaded.

To do this you need to install something like ubuntustudio which is
pre-set up and compiled to run hyper low latency using linux.

The reason why patched Linux can push harder then windows is that is can
be patched with pre-emptive real time scheduling ...
 http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/linux-image-rt

here is some information on setting up Jack for linux :
http://jackaudio.org/faq

Matt