Date:    Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:11:27 -0500
From:    "James W. Beauchamp" <jwbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: frequency to mel formula

Dear List,

On the Wikipedia page
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_frequency_scale

a formula for computing frequency in terms of mels is given as:

mel = log(1 + fr/700)*1127 .

It is easily inverted to fr = 700*exp(mel/1127 - 1) .

My question is: Where do these formulas come from? I.e., I need
a journal reference for these formulas.

Thanks much,

Jim Beauchamp
Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign