Re: frequency to mel formula

Dear list
Another lead: Malcom Slaney implemented mfcc calculations in the Matlab Auditory Toolbox using a method that is different from the formulae previously cited on the list. Once I compared his method to the formula 2595*log10(1+hz/700) and found little difference. Malcom may remember where he devised the method from (I would bet from Rabiner's book?).

By the way, I found the  log10(1+hz/700) formula in the following conference paper:
@InProceedings{mol01,
 author = "Sirko Molau and Michael Pitz and Ralf Schlüter and Hermann Ney",
  title = "Computing Mel-Frequency Cepstral Coefficients on the Power Spectrum",
  booktitle = {International Conference on Acoustic, Speech  and Signal Processing},
  year =      {2001},
  address =      {Salt Lake City, UT},
  month =      {June},
}
I don't currently have the paper at hand, but if someone could check, they may cite their source.
Hope that it helps.
Best regards
Guillaume

Guillaume Lemaitre, PhD

Equipe Perception et Design Sonores /

Sound Perception and Design Team

STMS-IRCAM-CNRS     UMR 9912

1, place Igor Stravinsky F-75004 Paris - FRANCE

tel  : (+33 1) 44.78.48.38

fax : (+33 1) 44.78.15.40

e-mail  : lemaitre@xxxxxxxx