Re: Mel scale, in general

Pierre,

I think the resolution is in what Leon said, that the mel scale is really more about "tone height" or "frequency" than about pitch or melody. So it's mis-named, at the least. It's also not accurate, as Don points out, and maybe a cochlear map is really the better concept.

But as you also know, it's used in speech primarily because it seems to work well (at least a local optimum), which is mostly about not resolving pitch harmonics but adequately resolving formants. I think you also agree with me in the feeling that it works well largely because speech systems don't usually have a good model for what to do with pitch information, so they're better off not resolving it; and that this is a problem and an opportunity to find a better way...

Dick