Re: AUDITORY Digest - 6 Oct 2009 to 7 Oct 2009 (#2009-230)

Jont,

You say: "if Tinnitus were typically generated in the cochlea (there
is lots of evidence for this), then there would be a place in the
brain that would hear this. Then some people come along and see the
signal in the brain, and conclude, that tinnitus is generated in the
brain. I hope there's more to it than this".

If I can paraphrase, you think tinnitus is generated in the cochlea.
So Arnaud and I pointed out that most people with a disconnected
cochlea have tinnitus. In my mind, that might quite possibly indicate
that tinnitus is not always generated in the cochlea.

You reply: "This is a meaningless indicator. If you drive a truck over
someone's head and crush their skull, they will become blind. Does it
follow that you see with your skull?"

I don't get it.

                            Didier

Didier A Depireux                depireux@xxxxxxxxx
Inst. for Systems Research    http://theearlab.org
School of Engineering           Ph: 410-925-6546
U Md College Park MD 20742 USA
Adjunct, BioEngineering