Re: Headphones for testing

Dear Dominic,

I wouldn't want to scare you, but I think it may be even more complicated
than Al has suggested.

If you want to do experiments on 3-d localisation, for example, even the
position and the size of the acoustic transducer in the headphones can make
a difference. If the headphones are circumnaural, you need as large a
transducer as you can get to ensure the sound field has as flat a wavefront
as possible (as if the sound was emanating from a distant source). Even
then, the direction of incidence on the subject's pinna won't match that of
a real-world stimulus, so the pressure wave reaching the eardrum won't
(usually) be exactly the same as it would if the acoustic source was at a
distance from the subject's head. There are many other issues regarding
frequency response, phase response and distortion.

If you're concerned with musical perception and consumer headphones, the
Headroom website is worth a visit:

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/headroom-test-lab.php

They have various measurements and reviews of headphones and the site can be
quite educational.

If you want repeatable experimental results, I'd recommend the most
expensive in-ear headphones you can afford, with the widest frequency
response and lowest distortion. A wide frequency response is usually an
indication of a good (linear) phase response. There may be hygiene issues if
the headphones are to be used by a large number of subjects, but as long as
they are fitted carefully and correctly, in-ear designs can reduce the
variability in experiments.

If your experiments will involve large numbers of subjects, you may prefer
circumnaural designs - then you'll need to consider robustness and comfort
too. I recently bought a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT-660 headphones on Amazon
for about 90 pounds. They're circumnaural with an unusually flat and
extended frequency response, low distortion, and they do show up a lot of
detail in audio stimuli. However they're not really robust enough for
large-scale experiments and they're intended as consumer headphones, so are
more concerned with making music "sound" the same as it would on speakers,
rather than reproducing and exact copy of the pressure wave at the eardrum
of the listener. Oh, and I should mention my eardrums are over 50 years old
now, so anything above 14 kHz is a mystery to me!

In summary, it's a complicated area but if you've "only" got 100 pounds to
spend, you may not have much choice and you almost certainly can't afford
calibrated headphones.

All the best,

Steve Beet

Principal R&D Engineer, Aculab plc