Re: need recommendation on PC sound card

Title: Re: need recommendation on PC sound card
Dear Rob,

As some other colleagues also suggested, I also prefer external interfaces with the same reasons already stated.

By experience I find MOTU sound cards superior to both RME and digidesign hardware in terms of usability and s/w integration (but it has been quite some time since I last used RME and digidesign h/w so perhaps they improved :)).  We use MOTU 828Mk3 and 896HD in our lab (both have Firewire connectivity), for conducting subjective listening tests for the multichannel system that we are working on. If you are looking for a sound card with microphone amplifiers, 896HD provides 8 discrete amplified analog inputs (that is useful if you’re planning on making some recordings of course). An additional advantage is that these sound cards can be daisy chained without the need for an external clock for synchronisation. I find both of these sound cards to be fairly robust with good software support both on Windows and Mac OS X platforms.

Regardless of the sound card or computing platform you use, please also have a look at portaudio and playrec (Matlab scripts based on portaudio) which will make interfacing  with your sound card a breeze whatever audio-related work you carry out with whichever sound card you use:

http://www.portaudio.com/
http://www.playrec.co.uk/

Best,

Hüseyin

--
Dr Hüseyin Hacıhabiboğlu
Centre for Digital Signal Processing Research (CDSPR)