double-wall sound proof booth attenuation

Dear list,

Would anyone have measured the attenuation characteristics of a double-wall sound proof booth once the booth is installed on site, compared to the characteristics announced by the manufacturer?

I’m having a booth built, and after several installation attempts (by the manufacturer), I still don’t get what was announced.  Basically, they announce an attenuation over 90 dB above 1 kHz (which is huge), I'm getting 70 dB (which is quite good, but still 20 dB less than what I’m paying for…), and the manufacturer says: "that's fine, that's what we normally get for measurement on site".

The reference measurement giving over 90 dB is supposed to be done in a reverberant room (so, same sound level all around the booth during the measurement). The room where my booth is installed might not be as reverberant; but I’m doing the measurement with the microphone between the sound source and the booth, so on the worse side of the booth. So I anticipate that, if my room was perfectly reverberant, I would get equal or smaller performances…

I would like to know if I'm getting what others are getting or if I should keep on complaining. Actually, very soon the manufacturer will not have any proposition for improvement (they told me already) so I have to decide if I keep the booth, or if they take it away and I'm looking for somebody else to build me a better one… (I haven’t tell the manufacturer name, but it might be difficult to find a better known company in the field…)

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Mat

Mathieu Lavandier
Université de Lyon, Ecole Nationale des Travaux Publics de l'Etat (ENTPE)
Département Génie Civil et Bâtiment (DGCB), Unité CNRS 1652

Rue M. Audin, 69518 Vaulx-en-Velin Cedex, FRANCE
Tél : +33 (0)4 72 04 70 30
Fax : +33 (0)4 72 04 70 41