Re: mechanical cochlear model

Dear Peter and list,

We are starting to talk about the active processes within the
Cochlear ... everything we have talked about gets turned on its head ...
for example, the stapes is no longer the input to the system... and that
is just the start of it ...

In this situation, the stapes and round windows act as physical loads.
The active processes are due to the Hair cells. Similarly the hair cells
are both the inputs and output of the active system. The active system
is composed of the following elements :
a] Mechanical loads (nonlinear mechanics - Jont's contribution)
b] Hair cell electrophysiology (the mechanical/neural input and output)
c] Neural signaling (the haircell input and output)

Current opinion is that the membrane potential of the haircell is the
absolute reference value (Liberman's and my opinion). This membrane
potential determines both the mechanical shape of the outer hair cells
and the neural signalling of the inner hair cells.

In this active paradigm, the input to the mechanical system is the outer
hair cell (OHC) pressure. The output of the mechanical cochlear is the
fluid velocity at that point (the same OHC).

What in your opinion is the nature of mechanical response (mechanical
movement) when the active system input is outer hair cell pressure and
the stapes/round windows are merely mechanical loads ?

Mechanical delays are standard - due to the mass of the fluid and the
compliance of the windows.

I believe that it is possible to argue that the ACTIVE actuation and
movement of the fluid is determined by the state of the outer hair cell
shape. In other words, my argument is that the outer hair cells
determine their own shape and movement based on their membrane
potential... consequently the mechanical cochlear response is secondary
to the deterministic shape state of the outer hair cells.

One has to have an opinion - does the mechanical cochlear determine the
shape of the OHCs - i.e. are they spongy and compliant ? OR Do the OHCs
determine their own shape and physical state base on their
electrophysiology - due to the strength of Prestin ?

I would prefer no-one to sit on the fence!

Matt