Re: Auditory wheel

On 3/18/2010 6:42 PM, Gossmann, Joachim wrote:
> Hi -
> it seems a fairly direct auditory equivalent of a color wheel is the phenomenon of "Shepard Tones" that loop in the frequency domain.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepard_tone
>

> Best,
> Joachim

I considered Shepard tones in rhythm as well as Risset's variants in
pitch.  From a preliminary trial, it seemed difficult for subjects to
determine consistent perceptual boundaries in the cycle.

We're interested where people innately segregate sensory inputs along
the wheel, be it in vision or audition.  With color, these boundary
determinations are quite repeatable.  With sound, Shepard tones seemed
to make the problem quite difficult; it may simply be, however, that
subjects were given insufficient exposure.

Thanks,
Michael