Re: Auditory wheel

I think that what we  need in order to understand and resolve these
issues is a really good mechanical cochlear model.
Suggestions, anyone?

Bob

Leon Van Noorden wrote:
Now I start to think about it is clear that timbre perception is our capacity to recognize how a sound is generated and through which filters it comes to our ear. In the good old days of the Institute for Perception Research in Eindhoven we had a demonstrator of the "klinker driehoek" (vowel triangle). This triangle lays in the x-y plane of which the two dimensions are the first two formants of vowels. In this triangle you can of course draw a wheel. The demonstrator was implemented on 80 by 80 cm x - y plotter that you could move by hand with a knob at the crossing of the two arms. With some exercise you could speak with it and make sentences like " I owe you ". To day you could easily implement it wit a touch screen and software like max/msp or ableton live. I think this is a fully parametrized space. Bye from Bogota.
iPod