Re: Auditory wheel

Dear Michael, and others,

all the problems with Shepard tones that you mentioned disappear at once and completely, if you take experimental subjects that have absolute pitch (APers). See below:

 I considered Shepard tones in rhythm as well as Risset's variants in
pitch.  From a preliminary trial, it seemed difficult for subjects to
determine consistent perceptual boundaries in the cycle.

APers have perceptual boundaries that are as stable and as automatic as color boundaries in the general population.

We're interested where people innately segregate sensory inputs along the wheel, be it in vision or audition.

Exactly this is what APers do.

With color, these boundary determinations are quite repeatable. With sound, Shepard tones seemed to make the problem quite difficult; it may simply be, however, that subjects were given insufficient exposure.

More exposure would not help. But with APers you will see that the boundaries will probably be even more precisely repeatable than with the color wheel.

Good luck.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music