Re: A question on Békésy.

If your real interest is the basilar membrane stiffness gradient, then I would take Fig. 11-73 on face value.

I doubt very much that the "gelatinous mass" is the tectorial membrane since, as you say, von Bekesy was very familiar with the TM and results from TM measurements are mentioned elsewhere in the book.

The basilar membrane stiffness measurements that we measured in the gerbil are quite similar in slope to what von Bekesy found and we have some preliminary data for the dolphin basilar membrane that exhibit a similar slope.