Re: Interlibrary Loan; was RE: FW: Article needed

In the United States the ILL system has been in place since the early
20th century, and has been extended into the age of photocopying
according to the American Library Association's "Interlibrary Loan Code
for the United States."
Ref:
http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/rusa/resources/guidelines/interlibrary
.cfm

The interpretation of the photocopying rules for libraries under
Copyright Law of the United States of America (Title 17 of the United
States Code, section 108,
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#108 ), is described by the
National Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyright Works
guidelines (1978).
Ref:  http://www.cni.org/docs/infopols/CONTU.html

The interpretation is that a requesting library cannot use ILL as a
substitute for a subscription if six or more copies of recent articles
(within last 5 years of publication) are requested for a single
periodical in a calendar year.  It doesn't look like this restriction
applies to older, archival articles.

Disclaimers:  (1) I'm not a lawyer. (2) The laws of the United States
undoubtedly differ from the laws elsewhere in the world.

Rob