Re: sex differences in perception of environmental sounds

Dear Milena,

You raise several important points.  The cultural, environmental, and
other factors you mention are certainly worth considering.  However,
depending on specific questions one is asking their influence may (or
may not) be detected in an experiment. In this case, deciding how
specifically these potentially important factors influence our
everyday perception becomes more of a personal opinion.  For example,
if one is concerned with acoustic cues to the perception of breaking
and bouncing events, to draw on a classic study, the results may not
necessarily be influenced by the factors you mentioned (most societies
have experience with breaking and bouncing).  On the other hand, for a
specific set of culturally specific sounds there could be marked
differences, perhaps not entirely unlike some of the differences
between any expert and novice listeners.  The magnitude and nature of
these effects still remains to be explored for the most part.  While
there are good reasons to believe that these cultural and societal
factors may play a role, there is not much in the way of empirical
evidence that I am aware of (except what Brian mentioned, and a couple
of other studies, depending on how exactly you frame the question).  I
could not agree with you more that these factors should be
investigated further and I think it is unfortunate that there is such
a large gap between ecological acoustics and acoustic ecology, despite
a seeming terminological similarity and often common goals of
understanding sound perception in the real world.  At the same time I
believe that discussions like this, while getting further and further
away from the original question asked by Joanna, do help to consider
different takes on the same underlying questions.

Best,

Valeriy