Re: sex differences in perception of environmental sounds

> So the distinction may not be between "natural" and "synthetic" sounds, but related to the fact that certain sounds may activate perceptual-motor representations (say: they activate the motor representations required to make the actions that make the sounds), and certain may not. This might not only be related to the sounds, but also to the listener's experience, and to contextual factors.
> I wonder is someone has ever studied these questions or could point me toward related studies.

Hi Guillaume, Milena and all,

while it probably isn't what you are looking for at all, this paper is concerned with similar questions [1]. Film is a good field for studying the ambiguity of what may count as natural, as well as of what may count as foreground and background sound. It is certainly a rich empirical base for the cultural knowledge on these categories. To the general discussion we should perhaps add the obvious, namely that gender/sex are categories just as contentious as environment. Which does not mean of course that one should not ask about possible interrelations.

Julian

[1] http://www.wertlos.org/~rohrhuber/articles/Artificial,%20Natural,%20Historical.pdf

@incollection{Rohrhuber2008Artificial-Natu,
	Address = {Heidelberg},
	Author = {Rohrhuber, Julian},
	Booktitle = {Transdisciplinary Digital Art: Sound, Vision and the New Screen, Communications in Computer and Communication Science},
	Editor = {Adams, Randy and Gibson, Steve and Arisona M{\"u}ller, Stefan},
	Publisher = {Springer},
	Title = {Artificial, Natural, Historical. Acoustic Ambiguities in Documentary Film},
	Year = {2008}}