HRTF's

 Dear List,
Could some one help to clarify as to whether HRTF's would introduce high frequency components to a low frequency sinusoid (let it be 300 hz) in determining its elevation. Further, would this signal sound any different if it was in front at zero degree elevation and azimuth versus at some other location? I guess I am also trying to find out how the pinna would interact with the signal to create any high frequency components and therefore will our ability to determine elevation of low frequency signals be degraded considerably? Sorry for so many questions, I have not been able to find out any references (net accessible) to such day dreaming.
Thanks for your help in advance, sincerely,
Randhawa