Re: Morning versus Evening Ragas

Dear Doug and List,

Here is a webpage that discusses the concept of playing/singing time for Ragas:
http://www.ragopedia.com/raga/playtime.html

the trouble with the above page is that it does not explain the concept of Vaadi Swaras, so let me try to explain. The Vaadi Swara of a Raga is the "principal" note of the raga i.e. loosely speaking it is sung most often. Roughly, If the Vaadi swara of a raga is in the first half of the octave, then it is a morning raga else it is an evening raga. There are finer classifications that I will skip in the interests of clarity. One could conceivably therefore detect the vaadi swara automatically and thus deduce whether it is to be sung in the morning or evening. The rules for play time are more strictly observed in North Indian Classical Music. I believe that the concept is known among South Indian Musicians but not strictly observed.

The above basically provides a look-up table approach to the problem. Whether such notions of a preponderance of a certain note evoking a certain time of day are universal is I think open to debate. People like me who have grown up in India have been exposed to the cultural context so we are perhaps culturally conditioned to hear a raga and think of it as a morning or evening raga. Whether a non-native hearing the music for the first time reacts the same way is open to debate I think.

My two cents. For a deep dive into such topics, please see http://www.parrikar.org/raga-central
Among others.

Best Regards,
ajay