Re: Hearing Loss "False Positives"

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, reinifrosch@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Old guys with undamaged hair cells have the advantage that they can fully
> enjoy classical tonal music with its change from dissonant to consonant
> chords and back. According to the Helmholtz consonance theory that
> change is due to the presence or absence of beats generated by pairs of
> partial tones of almost equal frequencies. These partials tend to be
> soft, and their frequencies tend to be high.

Do you know the answer to the opposite: why is rock music more enjoyable
loud? I think that it would be important to understand.

               Laszlo Toth
        Hungarian Academy of Sciences         *
  Research Group on Artificial Intelligence   *   "Failure only begins
     e-mail: tothl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx            *    when you stop trying"
     http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~tothl        *