From: Laszlo Toth [mailto:tothl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 12:28 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Hearing Loss "False Positives"

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, reinifrosch@xxxxxxxxxx wrote: > Old guys with undamaged hair cells have the advantage that they can fully > enjoy classical tonal music with its change from dissonant to consonant > chords and back. According to the Helmholtz consonance theory that > change is due to the presence or absence of beats generated by pairs of > partial tones of almost equal frequencies. These partials tend to be > soft, and their frequencies tend to be high. Do you know the answer to the opposite: why is rock music more enjoyable loud? I think that it would be important to understand. Laszlo Toth Hungarian Academy of Sciences * Research Group on Artificial Intelligence * "Failure only begins e-mail: tothl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * when you stop trying" http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~tothl *