Von: mccabem@xxxxxxx
Datum: 24.09.2010 23:45
An: <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: Why it has to be played loud

hi all,

[...]
also, i think if we reduce so-called "classical music" to being nothing
more than resolutions of dissonances, we are missing the large-scale
formal structures that makes music from 1600-1900 beautiful.  the true art
in traditional western art music is in the key relationships and form, not
localized resolutions of dissonances.
-m
[...]
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, reinifrosch@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:> Old guys with undamaged
> hair cells have the advantage that they can fully> enjoy classical tonal
> music with its change from dissonant to consonant> chords and back. According
> to the Helmholtz consonance theory that> change is due to the presence or
> absence of beats generated by pairs of> partial tones of almost equal
> frequencies. These partials tend to be> soft, and their frequencies tend to
> be high. [...]

-------
dr. matthew mccabe  <mccabe_matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
visiting assistant professor  ::  music technology  ::  columbus state university
office:  schwob school of music 2706  ::  phone:  706-452-1337 :: fax 706-256-9555
-------

Reinhart Frosch,
CH-5200 Brugg.
reinifrosch@xxxxxxxxxx .