From: David John SMith [mailto:smithd@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 08:27 PM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Loud music

To my knowledge, the Marshal amplifier was the "gauntlet thrown down" to start the loudness wars. It
was developed at the request of Pete Townshend because Pete didn't want to hear the audience. I
assume they were heckling the band.

I believe most of the "effect of loudness" is due to compression in the auditory system.

Rock is quite likely the most encompassing genre term, much more diverse than, say, European
classical music, and has probably evolved more forms in the past 50 years as any other culture has
in a few hundred - mostly due to commercialization enabling a large number of practitioners and
technology enabling fast exchange of ideas.  But, as is reasonable to expect in any endeavor,
- research papers come to mind here - about 80% are just uninspired, there are very few
works of genius...

Mostly alienated kids and dropouts listen to rock?  Ha!!!  Have you listened to a college radio
station recently? Gone to a college bar?  Walked through a dorm?

That said, I agree that there has been a downturn in the quality of rock - read "commercial" - music
though I put it beginning in the mid '70s. A few reasons come to mind: a) Music is necessarily a frontier.
As territory is claimed exploration becomes more difficult.  b) The corporate structure that grew around
the music has no need for great music or the accompanying risk and expense- they just need something
to sell.  c) It's easier to "market manage" forms of music which can be played by replaceable talent. and most
dishearteningly d) Rock and jazz "yer local bands" are not about music, they are about selling booze
and drugs.

I don't go into any rock music venue without hearing protection. I feel warnings should be required, sound levels recorded, and class action law suits begun.  But then I use hearing protection if I'm going to be in a car for more than a few minutes.  The levels over longer durations, in some frequency bands, in "yer average auto" are harmful - but to fix this we would be messing with the auto industry and they are way more powerful than "the guys" running the music business.

As things now stand, anyone can ruin your hearing and get away with it.  Music is a small part of that picture.

regards,
Dave Smith
www.roughlight.com