Re: Music listening styles

Dear Guy and list,

In an experiment with 60 students that walked a street circuit of 2 km through various environments once with a walkman and once without, only 1 person showed that she synchronised spontaneously her steps to the music. I was really amazed by this low number as we had taken care that the tempo of the music was very close to the normal walking tempo, often only 1 or 2 percent difference and that the beat was clearly perceptible. You know that, when we instruct people to walk to the beat of the music they like that and find it stimulating and many people use it for jogging. But if we do not ask there attention for the music, they either don't feel the pulse of the music or they don't feel the movement of their body.

Leon