Re: About importance of "phase" in sound recognition

It is my understanding that the response to a 'metric' question would be a number, or a formula, and the response to a psychometric question will be statistical. Regarding time delay, question one would be, "Is there time delay?". Question two would be, "Do you hear [the] time delay?"

My understanding is that the original question about phase was a psychometric question.

>> I've been confused about the role of "phase" information of the sound (eg speech) signal in speech recognition and more generally human's perception of audio signals.

It is also my understanding that there is a distinction between time delay caused by acoustics, and "phase" (shift) within the signal, from the source. I read that time delay would be characterized by the entire signal being "phase shifted", and internal (frequency region) phase shift would be characterized by some part(s) of the signal being 'out of phase'.

My next question may be arise depending on if I've got this right so far.

Kevin