Fwd: [AUDITORY] About importance of "phase" in sound recognition

Thank you.

I had thought that phase was part of a model related to the interpretation of sound. In my classes I often speak of displacement in time so that sound is only about amplitude -- which is what Hugh Le Cain once told me. Looking at the loudspeaker cone, or the tympanic membrane, this certainly seemed to make sense to me. I also learned that Fourier analysis was one way, but not the only way of analyzing sound.

If I understand correctly, if the answer to a question is to "listen", then the response will be statistical in nature, ie psychoacoustic. And my reading of the subject line is that this was a question about psychoacoustics.

The original question was:
> In summary I just want to know what is the consensus in the community about phase role in speech recognition, of course if there is any at all.

My first response was to try to clarify whether the writer was talking about "time delay", or the idea of some parts of some (ideal) signal being out of phase. My reading didn't get to the second part of the question / answer which for me is found in the idea that the response will be statistical in nature. I may be able to recognize speech (itself under-defined) in conditions that others can't.

I hear speech in orchestral playing, and in drums. A short study of north Indian drumming may allow the listener to detect speech patterns in tabla playing. I hear it.

I think the "perceptual" issue arises because that was the question.

Kevin