Re: About importance of "phase" in sound recognition

I would think that the signals x1, x2, x3, and x4 would sound different
because of their different audible beat patterns, i.e. their temporal
envelopes would be different. To my way of thinking, phase is more
inaudible when temporal envelope differences are not obvious to the ear.
I'm especially thinking about "relative phases" of the harmonics of a
harmonic signal that may have a slowly moving fundamental.
The model would be:

  s(t) =  SUM 1,K: A[k](t)*cos(2*pi*k*integral(f0(t)dt)+ph0[k])

  where k = harmonic no., K = no. of harmonics, f0 = fund. freq,
  and ph0[k] are the harmonic relative phases. Except for the
  residual, wouldn't this be a good model for a solo voice or wind
  or string musical instrument?

I hope I'm not missing the point here.

Jim