Re: Importance of "phase" in sound recognition

Actually the firing pattern of the auditory nerves is phase-locked to the stimuli, at least for frequencies which do not exceed ~3kHz. The reason is that the ion channels in the hair cells are widened when the associated point on the basilar membrane is at the crest of the wave (think of a buckled rod - the 'outer' part is decompressed and the inner part is compressed). When the ion channel is widened, ions flow more easily and the potential develops faster. At higher frequencies the capacitance of the cell, which acts as a low-pass filter, decreases the phase-locking.

So the ear preforms analysis both in the spectral domain and the time domain. (Of course the perception of phase is another question).