Von: emad.burke@xxxxxxxxx
Datum: 13.10.2010 17:09
An: <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: About importance of "phase" in sound recognition

I just had one question about Roy's last email, which is a intriguing question that i has been puzzling me for quite a long time, and shortly that is : if the cochlear (mechanics) effects on the perception of sound are that crucial as a lot of people in the cochlear modeling community also stress on, then how would you explain the hearing capabilities of the "deaf-born" patients with the help of cochlear implants that use quite a crude representation of auditory nerve spikes at least compared to super complex structures that has been developed in the cochlea over the ages. Actually there are various cases that shows after a period of learning, these people can earn a remarkably significant hearing sense. is there any explanation for this in your theorem of hearing ?

Best
Emad

Reinhart Frosch,
Dr. phil. nat.,