Please, unsubscribe me from this list.

Yours,
Nikolay Novitskiy

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 6:01 AM, AUDITORY automatic digest system <LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Topics of the day:

 1. Signals and Systems in Speech and Hearing, 2nd edition
 2. SV: [AUDITORY] Rhythmic discrimination fovea?
 3. Forum Acusticum 2011 abstract deadline soon!

Date:    Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:22:43 +0000
From:    Stuart Rosen <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Signals and Systems in Speech and Hearing, 2nd edition

Peter Howell and I are pleased to announce that, just about exactly 20=20
years after its first appearance, a new edition of 'Signals and Systems=20
in Speech and Hearing' has appeared. This book aims to present the=20
essentials of signals and systems analysis required by audiologists,=20
phoneticians, speech and language therapists and psychologists=20
interested in almost any aspect of speech and hearing. It will also be=20
of use to people working in acoustic aspects of animal communication.

Although much of the main thrust of the book remains unchanged (no=20
modifications to Fourier's theorem have appeared recently!), many=20
changes have been made to reflect the nearly total reliance in the field=20
now concerning digital means for the recording, manipulation, storage=20
and transmission of signals.

This is most strongly reflected in two chapters. Chapter 11, dealing=20
with spectrograms, has been much extended and describes the two=20
different ways in which spectrograms can be constructed =96 through filte=
r=20
banks and time windowing =96 and the relationship between them. Chapter=20
14, dealing explicitly with digital signals and systems, has been=20
expanded greatly to give concrete examples of digital systems and=20
digital signal processing, including the notion of infinite impulse=20
response (IIR) and finite impulse response (FIR) filters.

Finally, more in response to our teaching experience than any change in=20
instrumentation, Chapter 12 now focuses on the notion of the auditory=20
periphery as a set of systems, showing how its function is analogous to=20
that of making a spectrogram.

More information about the book can be found at:
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/stuart/S&S_2010.html

You can order an inspection copy here:
http://info.emeraldinsight.com/promo/signals.htm

On sale at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Signals-Systems-Speech-Hearing-2nd/dp/1848552262/re=
f=3Dsr_1_1?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Dbooks&qid=3D1292923151&sr=3D8-1

UK site:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Signals-Systems-Speech-Hearing-2nd/dp/1848552262/=
ref=3Dsr_1_1?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Dbooks&qid=3D1292923151&sr=3D8-1

I have used this book for some years now in a basic course aimed mostly=20
at audiologists, the details of which can be found here:
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/courses/spsci/sigsys/

--=20
/*------------------------------------------------*/
Stuart Rosen, PhD
Professor of Speech and Hearing Science
Co-director of the UCL Centre for Human Communication
Speech, Hearing and Phonetic Sciences
UCL Division of Psychology & Language Sciences
2 Wakefield Street
London WC1N 1PF
England

Tel:   internal x24077