Re: Unilateral hearing loss

I don't know if this is relevant, but I have heard
audiologists say that it is well-known that (right-handed)
rifle shooters tend to have more left-ear loss, because
their head shields their right ear from the muzzle wave.
The opposite is the case for (right-handed) pistol
shooters.

Is it possible that your colleague sees lots of military
(and former military) patients?  The military uses mostly
rifles, not pistols, and most people are right-handed.

Just a thought...

Best regards,

Bob Masta

==================
On 14 Apr 2011 at 12:56, Peter van Hengel wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> a colleague of mine is very interested in unilateral hearing loss. He's been
> working in audiology for over 30 years and claims that in his experience it
> is much more common for the left ear to be affected than the right.
> Furthermore, if the right ear is affected, and the person is also
> right-handed, the problems with processing auditory information are much
> larger than in cases of left-sided hearing loss and/or left-handedness.
> However, he does not know of any publications on the subject. Is there
> anyone on the list who knows?
>
> All the best,
> Peter van Hengel
> Audiologisch Centrum Twente
> the Netherlands

Bob Masta

            D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
           www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator
    Science with your sound card!