Auditory Hypnagogic Jerk

I'm wondering if anyone has documented, researched, or even
experienced what I would describe as auditory hypnagogic jerk.

I have observed this phenomena in that state of hypnagogia where I am
in the brief transition of falling asleep and I become aware of my
auditory system fading out just before I am fully asleep.  This
experience is especially pronounced when there are high levels of
ambient noise, like fan noise.  I literally hear my auditory system
gradually fade out the ambient noise.  This unusual experience causes
me to jerk awake.  I'm simply curious to know if others have
encountered this or if there has been any research regarding it.  I do
not experience this on a regular basis but it has happened on numerous
occasions.

Tyler Adams