Room acoustics requirements for a localization experiment

Dear list,

a colleague from the medical department asked me for help. He wants to measure the minimum audible angle (MAA) in patients with hearing problems, in order to detect deficits in localization compared to normally hearing listeners. In his medical/audiology setting, no anechoic room is available. He wants to use broadband stimuli, approximately 100 Hz to 8000 Hz. Now he is wondering what the minimum requirements concerning room acoustics for such an experiment are.

As I know that many experts in the field of localization are subscribed to this list, I'd be very interested in your opinion!

I'd guess that an attenuation of the direct reflections is most important?

And probably someone might also be able to recommend some simple technical measures one could take for making a normal, non-anechoic audiology room more suitable for such an experiment. The room size is approximately 3 x 4 x 2.5 meters.

Looking forward to your responses!

Dr. Daniel Oberfeld-Twistel
Johannes Gutenberg - Universitaet Mainz
Department of Psychology