Re: Laws of physics and old history...

Dear Randy and list:

I've been listening in on this conversation, and it does seem to have become
a tennis match between proponents of traveling wave models and those who are
uncomfortable with its complexity. Personally, I'm in the second camp, but
it's not a matter of casting votes. What we need are clear, considered
arguments, starting from first principles.

Randy mentions resonance models, and here my interest is aroused. I have put
forward a resonance model in which the resonant elements are tiny parcels of
fluid in the subtectorial space which are shuttled back and forth by the
rows of outer hair cells. This surface acoustic wave (SAW) model involves
the conversion of pressure waves with extremely long wavelengths to
"squirting waves" with very short wavelengths (about 30 um, which is the
distance from OHC1 to OHC3). Because squirting waves are highly dispersive
(wavelength proportional to 1/(f^3)), the distance between the OHC rows can
tune the cochlea from 20 Hz at the apex to 20 kHz at the base, just as Randy
was wanting. References are below.

And speaking of laws of physics and old history, I have gone back to the
history of the middle ear muscles and reviewed their workings. In the 1880s,
Gellé developed an "intralabyrinthine pressure theory" of how these muscles
protect the cochlea. Intuitively appealing, the ILP theory says that when
the middle ear muscles are activated, they push the stapes inwards and raise
the pressure in the cochlear fluids, protecting it from overload. The theory
was put aside because people couldn't see how pressure could affect
traveling wave mechanics. Now, with the possibility that OHCs are pressure
sensors, I propose a revival of the old ILP theory in a recent review paper.
For those interested, it is available open access at
http://www.journalofhearingscience.com/index.php?/archives/article/882057.
It's also a case study of what happens when a particular model dominates a
field and prevents open-minded consideration of alternatives.

Andrew.