measuring music playback quality

Dear all,

I am trying to get an overview of different methods that have been used to measure the perceived quality of a music recording with the goal to evaluate different loudspeakers, playback systems, earplugs, etc. I have seen a number of papers that compare two or more setups by asking listeners which recording they prefer. I have not come across a measure of absolute quality rather than quality comparisons, for instance by asking the (expert) listener to rate the quality of a single system. Is anyone aware of such an experiment? (I am particularly interested in absence of spectral colouring and distortions, but any example will do.)