Re: Recognizing children counting up/down

Dear Chris,

MIT has made available the following resources for web-embedded voice recognition:

http://wami.csail.mit.edu/

I hope you find that helpful, Ray

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Christian Vögeli <cvoegeli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear List

I am looking for speech detection methods/algorithms that would allow to determine if a child is counting up or down correctly in the number range from 0 to 100.

We want to use the methods in a software to help children with dyscalculia. One of the basic skills to be acquired before doing math as such is to be able to count. Our system would e.g. tell the child to start counting backwards from 51, starting with 51. The speech detection method would then have to be able to decide if the child first speaks “fifty one”, then “fifty”, “forty nine”, etc.

I know it’s hard to do speech detection in children and that there is only a limited number of samples to train e.g. an HMM, but I hope that by knowing which number should be spoken and by limiting the detection to yes or no, there might be a feasible way.

Do you have any suggestion to which algorithm we should investigate that might help with this particular problem?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

---

Dybuster AG