defining a 'fixation point' in audition

Dear list members,
I am in the process of redesigning a test dealing with attention and auditory
saliency but then I have a doubt about how to define, and possibly control, the
'fixation point' (in the case of sound stimuli).
I am using headphones, so head-tracking is not an option, I believe.

I also have thought that, giving credit to a supramodal model of attention, I
could provide a visual fixation point (a cross on the screen) but this would be
a fallback solution since I would like to keep it unimodal at this stage (and I
am addressing stimulus-driven attention).

This may sound as a very naive question to most of you, but I am turning it to
the community since I always got precious comments and feedback in the past.

Best regards
Francesco

--
Francesco Tordini      â skype francesco.tordini
PhD Student             â http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/sre/personnel/

Centre for Intelligent Machines and
McGill University
3480 University Street, Room 426
Montreal, QC, H3A 0E9, Canada  | T: (514) 398 8201