Prevalence of single-sided deafness

Dear List,

I am trying to find data on the prevalence of single-sided deafness (SSD) in
the general population (one severely-to-profoundly deaf and one
normal/mild-to-moderately impaired ear).   I find the statistic stated over
and over again, without reference, that there are 60,000 new cases per year
in the U.S.  Multiplied by a 70-year lifespan, this would suggest 4 million
individuals, or about 1% of the U.S. population, which seems high.  The
NIDCD website lists 4,000 cases/year for sudden sensorineural hearing loss,
which overlaps with but does not equal the SSD population.  Does anyone know
where these numbers (4,000 or 60,000) come from, or know of a good reference
for SSD prevalence data?  The best I can find are studies on children that
include less severe losses for the impaired ear.

Thank you,

Joshua G.W. Bernstein, Ph.D.
Research Audiologist
Audiology & Speech Center
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
8901 Wisconsin Ave.
Bethesda, MD 20889
(301) 319-7040
NEW email: