From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception [mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Brian Gygi
Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2012 8:01 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Higher thresholds = steeper slopes?

 Hi, I have some data for normal and hearing-imparied listeners for 90 AFC identification task for which the psychometric functions for the HI listeners have significantly steeper slopes than for the normal-hearing ones, even though their thresholds are higher.  Is this a common finding in the psychophysical literaure, or related to the nature of the hearing impairment, namely that once they can hear it, they rapidly achieve perfect performance (somewhat similar to the growth of loudness functions).

Thanks for any leads on this,

Brian Gygi