Marcelo
De: José Ignacio Alcántara <jia10@xxxxxxxxx>
Para: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Enviadas: Sexta-feira, 10 de Agosto de 2012 9:31
Assunto: Re: [AUDITORY] exploitation of "Auditory List" as a free "Article Request" list

Thank you Al for making a point that appears to have been overlooked and is highly pertinent to the matter at hand. I might also add that the journal-access problem is also sometimes an issue for researchers in universities that might appear to be well funded - this is often not actually the case in practice: University Departments run on budgets that are increasingly diminishing and Library funding is often a target for cutbacks. There are several journals of interest to me that we do not have a current subscription for, mostly because to get access to one journal necessitates subscribing to a group of journals, many of which are not of interest to our readers. (This is a larger issue that I will not go into, though one that will be familiar to many on this list.)

I have always taken the view that anyone who requests a paper from members on the list will first have attempted to access it by whatever (legitimate) channels are available to them; failing those, they email the list for assistance. Personally, I have no problem with this use of the list - I have both requested and provided articles when the need arises. Furthermore, I consider it perfectly reasonable that a community of like-minded researchers should assist one another in the spirit of not impeding research, which we may all benefit from in the future.

Yours,

José Ignacio Alcántara

Sent from my iPhone