Re: Tinnitus and a dip in the audiogram

I sometimes also use narrow band masking noise when testing tinnitus patients.

Another issue is that the audiogram uses discrete frequencies which are supposed
to be representative of the auditory system's functioning.  I have particularly
found this not to be necessarily true with tinnitus and suggest using a sweep
audiogram of some sort if you can get the proper equipment.  It provides much
better information.

You might also find looking at the difference between 220 and 660 Hz probe tones
as providing useful information particularly when used in extended reflex
testing.

Tom

Tom Brennan  KD5VIJ, CCC-A/SLP
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html