Human OAEs.

Dear colleagues,
The various forms of human otoacoustic emissions (OAEs) appear to agree with the hypothesis that the main OAE sources are active outer hair cells; the OAE properties can be predicted with the help of cochlear maps, i.e., of certain functions x(f), where f is the frequency of a tone and x is a related distance from the cochlear base, measured along the cochlear channel. At Forum Acusticum 2011 in Aalborg, Sarah Verhulst (then at the Technical University of Denmark) presented experimental wave forms of human TBOAEs (tone-burst-evoked OAEs) that differed appreciably from the click-evoked OAEs which I had analysed earlier. These TBOAE wave forms, however, can be shown to be compatible with the above-mentioned cochlear-map-based predictions, too. At the recent CAA meeting at Banff I presented two talks on those subjects. The corresponding two-page proceedings papers have already appeared in the journal Canadian Acoustics:

1) R.F., "Human Cochlear Maps", Canadian Acoustics, Vol. 40 No.3 (2012) 114-115;

2) R.F., "Analysis of Human Tone-Burst-Evoked Otoacoustic Emissions", Canadian Acoustics Vol. 40 No. 3 (2012) 116-117.

Reinhart Frosch,
Dr. phil. nat.,
CH-5200 Brugg.
reinifrosch@xxxxxxxxxx .