Re: Auditory perceptual blocks / guides

Hi Bernard
Thanks much, I appreciate your comments
I agree with your distinction between analytical listening and interpretations based on learned patterns. And intuitively I think you are correct in linking the analytical mode to creativity.

And yes, certainly the training involves segregation, working with distractions, masking noise, clusters, and micropoliphony. At times such drills begin with a familiarization stage in which the individual components are played first before the mix comes in, allowing a kind of an old+new heuristics effect (a perceptual anchor?)

I think that your observation about intervallic/harmonic hearing not being about auditory organization may be true. This type of organization is (also) at a higher processing level than the auditory scene analysis (as I understand it). However, the problem of learned patterns and perceptual guides is quite relevant there as well.

Cheers
Eldad

On 2012-11-26, at 3:00 PM, Bernard Mont-Reynaud wrote:

(Cc'd to my work email -- to keep in the thread)

I don't have a straight answer to your questions, but I found them so interesting
that I am compelled to comment. As a matter of background, I was interested in
auditory modelling since the 80's, notably heading a repeatedly NSF-funded
project at CCRMA (1980-1991) and continuing to keep an eye on the field and
developing my own thoughts. In the late 80's I was fortunate that Al Bregman
was spending a sabbatical at CCRMA, while preparing his book on Auditory
Scene Analysis, and I was perhaps the most avid audience for his thoughts
on the matter, since I was working on a computer model of audition. Anyway
the problem is quite difficult, as you know, and much research is still ahead
of us. It would surprise me if you got very good answers to your questions,
based on computer modelling, because (IMHO) people are still missing the
point on much less refined questions.

Another caveat: I have never been involved in ear training; but I did work
with sound in professional audio studios (building multi-track systems at
Lucasfilm, 82-84, Studer Editech, early 90's and at Sony SACD, early
2000's) and got to appreciate sound quality.

All this said, I'll try to give some specific comments.