Re: Audio editing

Hi

I was confused by the question which can be read in a number of ways. It is not clear if there are [say] 10 files of 2 minutes duration, or 40 files of 2 seconds. If there are 40 files, are their levels related to each other such that the amount of signal amplification [read: normalization] needs to remain constant across all 40 files, or is each file to be normalized independently of the others. The approach would be different in each case.

Normalization, applied correctly, will not clip a signal. The file will be scanned for the peak level and this peak will be amplified by 'n dB' so that the peak signal is "0 VU". This will not result in clipping if the software is designed correctly. One of the difficulties experienced with voice recording is that when very high quality mics have been used, there is a strong likelihood of DC offset producing an asymmetrical waveform.

The are manual techniques for achieving a kind of 'RMS normalization', but they are labor intensive. As normalization does not change the relative amplitude of signals within the file being processed, there should be no detectable change in naturalness, IME.

Kevin