sound card recommendations

Dear list,

I am looking to start running psychoacoustics experiments on Apple
desktop and laptop computers, and I would be grateful for
recommendations of sound cards that can be used for high fidelity
playback of waveforms, e.g. from the Psych Toolbox in Matlab. I have
not tested the sound cards that come with current Apple computers, but
I presume I am better off going with an external card. I am presenting
sounds to humans, so 48kHz and 24 bits should be sufficient. Thanks in
advance for any suggestions.

Happy new year,

Josh